Delijo's Banh Mi

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

I used to hate cilantro. I know hate is such a strong word but that’s exactly how I felt whenever I encountered the herb in my food specifically in Mexican cuisine. 



Just like cilantro, baguette was my least favorite carb. Even if it’s the most expensive one from a high end Boulangerie. I just can’t seem to appreciate it. Prolly because I am accustomed to the soft, pillowy bread like what most Japanese bread makers would offer. 



All of these, to the disappointment of Tapioca who adores anything Mexican and everything that is good and crusty bread like a French baguette. 



Everything changed when I got pregnant with little pumpkin. When hormones were crazy and my taste buds became weird. Suddenly, I was craving for anything with cilantro. The smell and taste was just too enticing. I can’t help but eat anything with it. 



It started with the Beef Thai noodles that oozed such strong cilantro flavor. Then the Banh Mi. These things I used to ignore and couldn't care less about pre pregnancy.



Unforch, I do not have any pictures of the stall where I get my Beef Thai Noodle fix. But I am aware that they have multiple stores around the city. The place is called Sen Luk Thai. I am not sure how authentic their food is but during my pregnancy cravings, I couldn't care less. In fact, I actually dream of travelling to Thailand and Vietnam. Hahaha!



I do have photos and videos of my favorite Bahn Mi stall. Again, I can't vouch for their authenticity but pregnant me back then loved every bit of it. I thought my taste bud would fail me once pregnancy is over. However, until this day, I am forever changed. My heart now belongs to anything with cilantro.

. . . delijo at the food court of robinsons forum in pioneer st.

traditional baguette, my favorite! . . . 

. . . fresh spring rolls, but I prefer the fried version 😉

For the record, I've only tried two places that offer Bahn Mi. Banh Mi Kitchen and Delijo. I can say that I prefer Delijo over Banh Mi Kitchen. It's hard to explain but I think their Bahn Mi's are two worlds apart. From the baguette used, to the butter, meat and pâté, everything is just not the same. For me, Delijo wins quality wise.



I love Delijo for it's consistency. I know making a sandwich is as easy as ABC but I commend Delijo for being consistent. I really, really love them. 



Check out this video, where the staff was being generous in putting cilantro in my sandwich per my request 😊




Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP