Some Time Off and Stories About My Tatay

Monday, October 31, 2011

So how was your Halloween? Me, nothing special. No we did not go to parties and don some customs. Before Halloween, my family and I went down south to grant my father's last wish. I thought it's going to be a chance for some R&R. I mean, it was suppose to be some time off work but turned out to be a stress I wasn't expecting. Nanay refuses to take the airplane so we have no choice but to take the 12 hour ride in a non air conditioned bus. Oh the agony, I swear I will never do that again. Ever.

Because of the travel time, we're left with so little time in Bicol and not much to do but to focus on the main purpose of us being there. On the day of my father's burial we were expecting only close family and relatives who will join us. I was surprise because dami pala namin kamag-anak. It was an emotional moment again for us. I was thankful for their presence. It felt like we had another wake for him. A wake with people who knew my Tatay really well.

They told me stories about Tatay that I never heard before. Like Tatay do magic tricks when he's drunk. And that he was the town's Dennis the Menace for his mischievousness and playing tricks on town's people. There was this one story they old me about Tatay pretending to be a dancing ghost which was pretty hilarious. We were all laughing crazily when my aunt mentioned what my Grandpa did when he found out about my Tatay's antics. They were good memories and I enjoyed hearing stories about him.

When we left Bicol, I was finally able to enjoy the vacation. I know, it's weird. When everything was all over I was glad that my mind's finally free from worries. I can now think of other things. This time we did take an aircon bus (Thank God!) with enough leg room and comfy seats. I dreaded the 12 hour ride but did not feel so bad about it anymore. For the first time, my mind fully opened up to the positive aspect of this so-called vacay. As the bus started our journey back to the city, I was enjoying the ride and the sight-seeing which really helped me relax. Nature has it's way in making you realize how awesome this planet we are living. It makes you appreciate all things around you and the greater power who created them. And in my head I started planning my vacation the next time I go back in Bicol. Let me show you the amazing sights I've seen along the way. I will be borrowing some pictures as I did not bring my camera with me during this trip. Bad me.

photo from http://fyi09.wordpress.com

The majestic Mayon Volcano. It was our view for about 2-3 hrs though we cannot really see the tip because it was covered with clouds. Nevertheless, it was a sight to see. I promise I will be back and I would like to take my picture with the volcano as the background.


photo from www.harleycam.com

Lamon Bay and the Baywalk in Gumaca, Quezon. This was another cool part of the sight seeing. I'm not sure how long is the baywalk but I think it was a good 5-10 minute drive (or maybe longer) and we can still see the bay.

photo from http://www.voxbikol.com

Railroads. When we reached Naga, I kept on seeing the railroads going the same direction as the bus. I was like where are these railroads leading to? Then I remember something. When I was in high school this was my mode of transportation. Cheap and fastest way to go to school. Also I have this uncle who likes taking the train going to Bicol. Then it hit me. The PNR's last Station was in Naga. That's why there were several railroads that we kept on passing by. Remember physics, Snell's law? The fastest way to go from point A to B is thru a straight line. Well the railroads going to Bicol are not exactly a straight line but it somehow shorter travel time compare with the bus ride. Hah. Additional info for my next Bicol road trip. I can't wait to be back. But next time I'll make sure Tapioca will join me.

Happy Halloween!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP