Casablanca. A Film.

Saturday, June 27, 2020


photo from https://moviesanywhere.com

Last Monday, Tapioca and I finished watching the 1942 romantic movie, Casablanca. He's been wanting to watch it with me. Both of us have never watched it before.

For the record, I love old movies. And when I say old movies, I'm referring to those black and white films. No racism here or anything, okay? But that's what they call them. I have watched quite a few and I would love to watch more if I can.

There’s something about old movies that makes me feel good. It reminds me of how simple and uncomplicated life was in the olden days. The way they dress, the way they talk. I could go on and on. I guess it's because I'm an old soul? Hahaha! It is sad though that they don’t make movies like this anymore.

Anyway, the story of Casablanca goes back to the time when the Germans and Nazi were trying to take over the world. I don’t know about you but stories connected to the olden times, about World War II, Germans and the Nazi, I never tire of them.

Many great stories have been told during this period. We have heard stories about how the war got the worst and the best of them. Stories on how they coped and survived the struggles, the stress, the violence, depression, loneliness, hopelessness and helplessness during those dark times. But I guess, the most important lesson learned and shared throughout history is that “love conquers all.

This post is not about me making kwento or summarizing what happened. I just wanted to share my reaction. As in reaction paper lang ang peg! So here it goes . . . when the movie ended, I wanted to give it a standing ovation. I thought, when was the last time I watched a movie that I thoroughly enjoy? It feels like it has been too long. It was such a feel good movie. Seriously. It is my kind of movie.

After watching it, I was grinning from ear to ear for more than a minute (me thinks?). I had a "WTH" moment. Kinda hard to explain. I mean, the story was very simple. Same genre that had been told many times before. But the way it was told, the narratives, the conflicts and climax - ah! All tested formulas but it worked! It worked and still works up until this time.

So yes, it has been too long since I watched a movie where it just gave me good entertainment. It left me with a good feeling. Yeah, I've been saying that again and again like a broken record. The ending was not what I had expected but in a good way. That's probably why I was smiling after watching it. I wasn't left hanging. It didn't leave me with any questions or doubts about the characters or their actions. Nor did I think of anything disagreeable about the plot or the accuracy of things. I like that I didn't have to analyze things or evoke any negative feelings. I was just there simply watching how the story unfolds.

The movie was well written and highly engrossing. It had enough drama, action, humor and suspense. I love that there’s not so much of a violence. Also there was no need for special effect. The main focus I believe is the story and it's characters. Anything else is non essential. That's just my opinion, okay?

Overall, it was a beautiful movie. A movie that I wouldn't mind watching again and again. And how can I forget Humphrey Bogart's famous line? Well, I finally understood it now.

Tapioca asked if I was going to blog about it. I told him, no I’m not. But I’m fickle minded so here I am. Surprise no more.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP