Staycation: Crowne Plaza Manila Galleria

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The honeymoon was supposed to be an out of the country trip but due to issues with Tapioca's vacation leave at the office, we had to cancel the plan. I can tell Tapioca's frustration about this. He needs a vacation so badly. I decided to book a stay in the metro for a quick getaway.

Asiatravel.com has an ongoing crazy rate promo where they guarantee the best hotel deal. Been curious about this for a long time so I gave it a try. We chose the Ortigas area for a 5 star accommodation plus buffet breakfast for two. Hotel property will only be revealed after payment is made. True enough, after I confirmed my booking, I got an email from Asiatravel.com with the hotel name and the voucher.

And that's how we ended up at Crowne Plaza Manila Galleria.

. . .  front desk

Sorry for the blurry photos. I was trying to be discreet (too shy to take photos) and didn't realize I'm getting these blurry shots. My bad.

busy day at the hotel . . .

. . .  the lobby

The lobby was not as grand compared to other hotels. But when Tapioca saw it, he thought we were at the wrong hotel. He was like "Are we at the right hotel? This place looks so nice. I can't believe we only paid that much.". LOL!

view of the lobby from the escalator . . .

. . . the agenda

Now a tour of our deluxe room . . .


It was very spacious and clean. I love the floor to ceiling windows.

 the king-sized bed . . .

. . . view of Ortigas avenue from our room

the bathtub . . .

This made us all giddy in delight.

. . . the sink and the huge mirror

toiletries . . .

Shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, lotion, soap, shower cap, vanity and dental kit.

. . . separate shower stall and toilet

the closet . . .

Iron and ironing board, bathrobes and slippers.

. . . safe deposit box

the mini bar . . .

Tea and coffee maker and complimentary water bottles.

. . . mini fridge

And the big letdown . . .

the telly . . .

Ang chaka ng TV! C'mon Crowne Plaza, it's time to upgrade!

. . . the work desk

That's Tapioca reading the room service menu. He's hungry. But we're not ordering room service. Not yet. We have a better plan.


Lunch buffet at 7 Corners. Yay!

Tapioca enjoying his steak and other good stuff from the buffet . . .

After the 7 Corners experience, Tapioca and I concluded that all the other buffets we've tried didn't even come close to this. The selection was over the top. I think it's just right I'll make a separate post about the food. Read it all here.

. . . the view at night

We were so full from lunch we did not eat dinner. We woke up at 1am and went to the nearest 7-11 for some snacks. By 2:30am Tapioca couldn't resist the room service menu anymore. He finally gave in.

room service at three in the morning . . .

. . . burger and fries

If given a choice between burger and pizza, I would choose the latter. I don't like burgers much because I hate the aftertaste and when I burped I could still taste the burger. However, Tapioca has been teaching me the ways to enjoy a good burger. And on this burger, I have to say, he no longer needs to teach a thing or two. The burger looks dry as hell but after the first bite, it just blows me away. The patty was crispy and crunchy but juicy and flavorful on the inside. And the burger bun, those soft and fluffy burger buns! It's so good! Then Marshall from How I Met Your Mother came to mind. I remember The Best Burger in New York episode. I also remember the way Marshall described the best burger. He described it so well.

And I quote:
Just a Burger? Just a burger. Robin, it's so much more than "just a burger." I mean...that first bite—oh, what heaven that first bite is. The bun, like a sesame freckled breast of an angel, resting gently on the ketchup and mustard below, flavors mingling in a seductive pas de deux. And then...a pickle! The most playful little pickle! Then a slice of tomato, a leaf of lettuce and a...a patty of ground beef so exquisite, swirling in your mouth, breaking apart, and combining again in a fugue of sweets and savor so delightful. This is no mere sandwich of grilled meat and toasted bread, Robin. This is God, speaking to us in food. (Source:TVFanatic.com)

Oh di ba? Pak na pak! Tapioca might disagree but this is the best burger in my book.

pasta with shrimp and fennel . . .

Nothing special about the pasta except it has fennel which I haven't tried before. I can't really describe what the fennel tastes like but it has the texture of a raw jackfruit. The dish needs more seasoning, though.

. . . the pool

The swimming pool is shared by the guests from the next door hotel, The Holiday Inn. It was very small with very few sunbeds. The water is not temperature-controlled. Super cold especially in the morning.

Tapioca taking a dip in the cold water . . .

. . . poolside menu

Price is pretty reasonable but since it's a hotel, one should remember that there's always ++

swim at your own risk . . . 

. . . the kiddie pool

mini waterfall for kids only . . . 


I seriously need to exercise. My tummy is such an unsightly view. Still, I'm posting this pic anyway. *evil laugh*

. . . the sunbed

Tapioca couldn't stand the cold water. He'd rather enjoy a hot bubble bath in our room. I agree. We went back to our room to change and get ready for breakfast - buffet style.

me in a robe inside the elevator . . . 

The bathrobe was too big for me. I looked very much like a midget (that I am)! When we get to our room this is what greeted us . . .

. . . complimentary newspaper

Time for breakfast. 7 Corners we meet again!

Jellybean elated after breakfast . . .

I'm not a morning person. I don't eat a lot in the morning and most of the time I skip breakfast. But I love breakfast food. We eat breakfast food for lunch and dinner. Yeah, we're weirdos like that. For some strange reasons when on vacation mode, I look forward to breakfast. On this staycation, I fell in love with 7 Corners buffet spread. If I can have 7 Corners breakfast buffet everyday, I will never skip breakfast ever again. But of course I can't do that. Mamumulubi kami hahaha!

. . . bubble bath while watching Jack TV

After breakfast we spent the remaining hours soaking up in the hot tub with lots of bubbles while watching TV. Yeah, the bathroom has glass walls. Tapioca loves it.

entrance from the mall . . .

We exited through this door connecting to Robinson's Galleria. How convenient.

Overall, we love Crowne Plaza because:
  • Check in and check out is hassle-free. 
  • Spacious rooms even if you get the cheapest one. 
  • Service is top-notch. We love being pampered. All staff members were very courteous, friendly and always with a smile.
  • Great food. 
  • Located in the heart of Ortigas. It's just a minute away from Robinson's Galleria to do some shopping, watch movies or dine somewhere else if you find hotel food too pricey. 
and what we think needs to be improved:
  • The TV. Totally!
  • Bigger and better swimming pool. Much appreciated if the water's heated.
No wonder everyone's going on staycations, huh? Such a great way to unwind and relax without going far away from the city. We love it so much that I am so looking forward to more staycation in the future.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP