Nanay’s Day

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Before Nanay's birthday even came, I'd already made plans. I've planned to have a little party at home. We will have spaghetti and fried chicken and of course, a cake. A party is never complete without a cake. I will be drinking wine. Two big glasses of wine. One for her and one for me.

Then I had a dream. In my dream, there was Nanay. She was telling me to include pineapple juice in my grocery list. I tried to find the meaning of my dream however it was futile.

It just wasn't making any sense. I thought, maybe, just maybe, it was her way of telling me to take care and watch for my health? That I should be health conscious? Because you know, pineapple juice = good health. It’s the drink recommended for a lot of ailments such as high blood pressure, heart condition, constipation, etc etc. Hmmm, if I were to discern what this dream was all about, I think I should just take it literally, don't you think? Could it be that she knew what I was planning all along and that she would rather see me drink pineapple juice instead of wine? Oh well, if that’s what Nanay wants then I will drink pineapple juice. Anyway, I can always spike it up and turn it into pina colada. Genius! I told you, none of these make sense. I digress.

I got sick two days before her birthday. It was a really really bad cold and cough. I was having second thoughts of pushing thru with the celebration.  Then on a Saturday night, while nursing a bad headache, I received a phone call from my Aunt - Nanay's sister. She said she would be coming over. Without hesitation and not minding that I was not feeling well, I said yes.

So on a Sunday, we had a celebration - an impromptu party. We just made do of what was readily available. I was happy and sad at the same time. When I saw my aunt, I couldn't help but notice her resemblance to Nanay. I wanted to cry but I didn't. I knew she wasn't Nanay, she just looked like her.

My brother and I, along with my nephew, visited Nanay’s resting place on her special day. I was disappointed in myself because I wasn’t able to prepare well and execute my plans. No cake, no flowers, no siopao. Thankfully, there were candles being sold near the cemetery. We brought pancit and pineapple juice for her. I don’t even know why we brought pancit. Yeah it’s her birthday however the pancit symbolizes long life and it was…. sad. I only realized that now. I should have brought siopao and a cake. Tsk, tsk. Oh well, I’ll do better next year.

. . . Nanay's resting place and my nephew Oler

Kuya and Oler . . .

After that we went to Jollibee and celebrated again with … 

. . . jollibee's champ - another favorite by Nanay !!!

Oler enjoying his burger . . .

Oh these things that reminded me of her. It has been months but I still miss her terribly. The last two years were my most vivid memories of her. I am glad that during those times she decided to stay with me and Tapioca. Our house has never been the same without her. But I also knew that she is happier now wherever she is.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP